Author Topic: Server  (Read 11457 times)

zeppelin`

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Server
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
hey,

i have been out of the fwo scene since cib first took over as the distributor of fwo.

to my understanding phoenix game studios went bankrupt sometime last year and now i see their website, and the cib fwo distribution website is down.  because PSG went bankrupt i presume the game is now open source, but i cant get in contact with PSG to find out if this is correct, and cib wont reply to my emails.

im from the UK, studying computational physics at edinburgh university and wish to take up a FWO restoration project as an academic exercise with fellow students/friends.  between us, we have played in beta1 through to p2p and dont wish to see one of our favorite games end. we want to start our own private server, and some of us wish to code the game from scratch out of enjoyment/learn C++ but we need the source code or atleast server files/databases which ofcourse would be down to wether the game is open source or not (we do not wish to get the source code illegally)

if anyone could shed light on the situation that would be a big help.

ongweijian

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Server
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
Then they close fwo server because they went bankrupt?Or its server down 4 a while only?If close then i dont event konw what to do if dont hv fwo :( :(

zeppelin`

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »
the devs went bankrupt, so technically its open source, so if cib release a server for it again they cant make any profit, i look to make a server of my own soon though which forum members here are welcome to beta test (will be coded from scratch if source code is open)

EzraK

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:07:45 AM »
Did you made something mistake?

The copyright of the product will not be violated if the author is going to bankrupt.  Because the copyright is asset, it will be sold during the bankrupt procedure.

In the other hand, PGS was not bankrupt.  It was closed by the owner himself.  As far as I know, CIB bought the right of using FWO from the owner of PGS, after PGS was closed.

Finally, according to the information posted in the FWO group in facebook, this time FWO shut down is because of too heavy license fee from the real copyright holder - Ma Wing Shing.

zeppelin`

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 11:35:37 AM »
Did you made something mistake?

The copyright of the product will not be violated if the author is going to bankrupt.  Because the copyright is asset, it will be sold during the bankrupt procedure.

In the other hand, PGS was not bankrupt.  It was closed by the owner himself.  As far as I know, CIB bought the right of using FWO from the owner of PGS, after PGS was closed.

Finally, according to the information posted in the FWO group in facebook, this time FWO shut down is because of too heavy license fee from the real copyright holder - Ma Wing Shing.

yes, cib have the distribution rights to fwo, even after PGS went bankrupt/closed over a year ago afaik.  however, cib are no longer distributing the game, therefore have no claim to the game source, or have i made a mistake thinking that?

ongweijian

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 02:54:28 PM »
But my friend says he saw in pso forum is GM says renew map and need to wait his announcement. ??? ???

cloudblade

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:30:25 AM »
when did u saw that GM's post? as far as i know is that we wun see the game anymore =s

EzraK

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 04:30:55 AM »

yes, cib have the distribution rights to fwo, even after PGS went bankrupt/closed over a year ago afaik.  however, cib are no longer distributing the game, therefore have no claim to the game source, or have i made a mistake thinking that?
Basically, no claim of game source is confirmed.  However, the major problem is: PGS/CiB is not the real holder of copyright of FungWan Online.  The real owner is a guy Called "Ma Wing Shing" or his own company.  He is the author/creation of the comic of Fungwan/Storm rider.  The shutdown of the game, according to what I heard from Facebook, is caused by Ma claimed CiB for high licence fee.  Thus, CiB decided to close this game.

jasonseeto

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 03:39:55 AM »
just do it anyway no one can sue you cos no1 is hosting the game so go right ahead do all us fwo players a favor and make a private server its been done to wow and many other mmorpgs so please do it